In DASH you may need to charge your customers tax for certain items. These tax rates can be created and edited in DASH.
Tax Product Setup
- The first step is to create a Tax product in the Product management section. From the global search box. start typing the word "Products". Another way to get to the Product Search and Set-up page is to click on Setting from the top tool bar and on the left hand side, press Products. Click on Products.
- Press the "New Product" button.
- There are only a few of the form items here that are necessary or helpful to fill out:
- Name: Type in the desired Tax name. Keep in mind this what the customers will see on their invoices.
- Global Price: It doesn't matter what you enter in here. I chose to enter in 0.00.
- Category: Category and Sub category is used for running the category Sales report. In my example, I set my Category to "Taxes" and my sub category to "Sales".
- Product GL: This is another optional field that is helpful with reporting.
- The rest of the options are not important in this product set-up and can be left alone.
Tax Rate Set Up
Note: You must have the Tax Product Management Authorization (listed under Administrative section) in order to complete this step.
- In the global search box, start typing "Product Tax". This will bring you to a page which allows you to create and edit your tax rate structures for all of your locations.
- To create a new rate, press the "+" symbol. Select the location the rate should be assigned to. Note that you may need to create multiple rates if you have multiple locations in your account. You may also have different rates depending upon that location.
- Enter in the tax product you just created in the steps above.
- Type in the tax rate you need to charge your customers.
- Click "Save Tax" button.
Attaching Tax Rates to Products
Once you have your tax product and the rate set up, you are ready to assign the taxes to the individual products that should charge your customers at time of checkout.
- Start typing the word "Products" to get to the Product Search page.
- In the "Product Name" field, enter in the name of the product you need to add your tax rate to and click "Search".
- Click on the product name within the search results to view the product details.
- Choose a Location from the drop down that you want to add the tax rate to.
- Check the box next to the tax rate that should be charged.
- Click the "Add Location Settings" button.