This feature is targeted towards our cash-basis account customers. We have recently released a payment allocation algorithm that has been allocating a specific amount of the payment to each invoice item. This has been running in the background and has improved our cash-basis reporting. Although we do handle most situations, we would like to give the flexibility of editing our default allocations.
About The Allocation Algorithm
When paying an invoice in full, the payment will mark each invoice item as paid. THIS ALGORITHM IS ONLY FOR PARTIALLY PAID INVOICES.
When dealing with a partially paid invoice, we will allocate the payment using the following conditions:
- The first due is the first to be allocated
- Due date is the Season Start date or the Event Start time. If the invoice item does not have either, then it is considered due at the time invoiced.
- Discounts for a product will be allocated before the discounted product is allocated.
How To Edit Payment Allocations
In order to Edit Payment Allocations, you will need to have the “Edit Payment Allocation” permission set. This will allow you access to the Edit Payment Allocation view.
You can edit payment allocations in two places, the checkout page and the invoice page.
The Checkout Page: When creating an open invoice at checkout or making a payment to an invoice that will leave it open, you will automatically be prompted with the Edit Payment Allocation modal. This will allow you to edit how much of the payment you want for each invoice item.
- The Invoice Page: If you have permission to edit a payment allocation, you will see the edit icon next to each payment on the invoice screen. If you click on this, the Edit Payment Allocation modal will appear.
Editing the Allocations
In order to edit the allocations I am creating an open invoice as an example. The cart is as follows:
- 1 x Drop in Class for Dean Olson on 3/23/2016 at 8:00 am at $10.05
- 1 x Drop in Class for Dean Olson on 3/23/2016 at 10:00 am at $10.05
- 1 x 10 Barrel IPA Pitcher at $13.50
I then proceed to checkout making an $18.50 payment. The checkout screen will automatically prompt you with the Edit Payment Allocation modal.
As you can see, the default allocation of the $18.50 was put towards the pitcher and the class at 3/23/2016 8:00am. This is because the 10 Barrel IPA Pitcher was perceived as being due at checkout, takes $13.50 of the payment. With the remaining $5.00, it was allocated to the next item that was due, the Event on 3/23/2016 8:00am.
Why are we doing this?
This feature will allow our customers to have more control over their cash basis allocations, thus allowing reporting to be better. We are still working on even more improvements for our Cash Basis Reporting, so look forward to future improvements!